Partners

Partners

Phenom-World

We are proud to announce we are now part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, the world leader in serving science. Through the combined product portfolio, with the best-in-class Phenom desktop SEM instruments and imaging and analysis packages, we can serve even better and deliver even more value for our customers around the globe.

At Phenom-World, we believe breakthroughs happen when complex nanotechnology is made intuitive, easier to use and brought within reach. As the leading global supplier of desktop scanning electron microscopes, our aim is to make imaging and analysis at the nanoscale available to every scientist in every lab. That’s why we invest our time and effort into developing high-quality electron microscope solutions that are functionally rich, yet simple to use.

Our mission is to create technology that has a real impact on how people work. This takes innovative thinking, collaborative working, and an entrepreneurial attitude. Our passionate employees work in the high-tech region of Eindhoven in The Netherlands and have the freedom they need to innovate. Together, with our highly skilled partners in more than 45 countries around the world, they ensure that our customers get fast, accurate results that help them to achieve more in nanotechnology.

CEI-Europe AB

CEI-Europe AB, Continuing Education Institute-Europe AB is a Swedish based company dedicated to Learning for Professionals within the fields of Semiconductor Technology, Thin Film Deposition, System Design, HW Design, and Telecommunications. We will contribute to the ELENA project by providing expertise in organisation of three training events for the ESRs. The events will enable sharing of knowledge between participating parties as well as contribute to networking amongthe ESRs and other participants of ELENA.

The CEI-Europe office handles all aspects of course development, planning, marketing, customer contact, and delivery of short courses across Europe and to customers in other parts of the industrialized world. We ensure high standards in organisation are met in all aspects of the course delivery together with our partner venues. The cities and resort venues for CEI-Europe's courses are specially selected for easy access to activities that encourage professional networking outside the classroom.
CEI-Europe has 40 short courses for professional engineers and scientist, 3-5 days long, with detailed technical depth both theoretically and with hands-on experience. The CEI-Europe instructors are internationally recognized in their respective fields and have proven pedagogic ability to impart technological expertise to a professional audience. Numerous patents, technical articles, books and awards are linked to the work of our instructors.

MScEE Elisabet Larsson is CEO and co-owner of CEI-Europe AB. She received her M.Sc. Degree in Electrical Engineering from Linköping University of Technology, Sweden, in 1992. Before joining CEI-Europe in 2002, she was employed as validation engineer and SW coordinator at ICL Ltd. and Fujitsu, and later as project manager at Ericsson AB in Sweden. She has served as CTO 2002-2009 and since 2009 as CEO of CEI-Europe. 

Minerva

Minerva UK supports organisations across health, sustainability, food and science sectors to build capacity, competence and confidence, delivering strategies that work. Whether working with charities, not-for-profits or European research projects, our goal is to improve knowledge flow, create insights and share expertise, creating impact. As a business we address issues, causes and concerns which advance the social good – and that’s a passion shared by all members of the Minerva team.
What’s the result? It’s about helping our clients create their story, tell it to the people who need to hear it – and make sure it’s heard.

ISMO

The Institute for Molecular Sciences of Orsay (ISMO) is a joint laboratory of the “Centre National pour la Recherche Scientifique” and the Université Paris-Sud, both involved in the recent creation of the Université Paris-Saclay, a new University in the southern part of the Ile-de-France. The « electrons-solids » team belongs to the research group “Surfaces, Interfaces: Reactivity and Nanostructuration” (SIREN) and welcomes two associate professors (Dr. Lionel Amiaud, Dr. Céline Dablemont) and a full professor (Dr. Anne Lafosse). The group is working on low-energy electron chemistry induced within supported molecular films (self-assembled monolayers, ices, polymers films). 

As a research university with a huge disciplinary spectrum, Paris-Sud is particularly recognized for the high level of its basic research, most notably in mathematics and physics. In Health Sciences, its research has had rich and fruitful results in therapeutic innovation in a large number of medical fields. Its Law, Economics and Management teams carry out highly original research in new technologies and innovation. All this research activity takes place in laboratories, which are shared with major research organizations including CNRS, Inserm and CEA, whose involvement has considerably enhanced the international reputation of the research facilities. Key figures: 28000 students, 1900 teaching staff, 1200 research scientists, 2200 engineers, technicians, administrative staff and maintenance staff. The Faculty of Science welcomes over 13000 students and 2100 PhD students, and has a staff of 1700 professors and researchers and 1800 administrative and technical workers. Education and research programs cover the fields of biology, chemistry, electronics, computer sciences, mechanics, mathematics, physics, earth sciences and physical education.

The Comenius University

The Comenius University (CU) is a partner organization involved in ELENA. It has, during its 96 years of existence (1919-2015), established itself as the largest and most productive research higher education organization in Slovakia. Research and synergistic enterprise is one of the primary strategic objectives of the CU. Through its research groups, the university provides extensive training to over 6,000 Masters and 700 PGs per year providing Slovakia with a highly skilled workforce to support its industrial base. CU staff are active across many disparate fields of research and active participants in several national and international R&D projects including leading Slovakian engagement with the International Fusion programme. 

The Electron and Plasma Physics Laboratory; The Electron and Plasma Physics Laboratory - EPPL at FMPI CU is amongst the top research teams at the CU and has one of youngest staff profiles.  In the last two decades its research has resulted in the publication of more than 100 scientific papers in renowned scientific journals and resulted in more than 1000 citations (according Web of Science) some of the highest publication outputs and citation rates in Slovakia. EPPL has participated in several trans-EU research programmes, particularly through COST Actions, indeed the EPPL has organised several international workshops within COST actions as well as several international conferences. 

In the last two decades EPPL has, in part, built its reputation on its high level of expertise in the field of development and innovation of new experimental and theoretical techniques and methods. In particular, EPPL has developed several unique experimental facilities for study of ionising electron interaction studies - a Crossed Electron Molecular Beams Ion Apparatus – (CEMBIA) for gas phase studies. The Electron Induced Fluorescence Apparatus – EIFA, developed for electron induced fluorescence studies and dissociative excitation studies to molecules in the UV/VIS and VUV spectral ranges. For electron swarm experiments an ‘Electron and Ion Mobility Spectrometer’ has been built to perform electron swarm experiments and which combined with -orthogonal acceleration time of flight spectrometry (IMS-oaTOF) has been developed to study low energy electron- and ion-molecule reactions at atmospheric pressures (one of the few instruments in the world capable of such studies). Furthermore, EPPL has installed an Electron Cluster Beam Apparatus - (ILLN) for cluster phase studies, developed at Free University Berlin and transferred and upgraded recently at Comenius University.  EPPL’s experimental research is complemented and supported by the high level quantum chemical calculations which are necessary in order to interpret the experimental spectra and to determine important parameters of electron and ion induced reactions which can subsequently be used in technological models. 

Besides the fundamental research focused on electron interactions, the laboratory is active in several areas of applied research related to electron and ion processes, mainly in the field of microdischarges and atmospheric plasma sources for bio-medical and technological applications.

Siedlice University 

The establishment of the Higher Teacher Training College in Siedlce in 1969 was a great distinction and a very important historic event both in the history of the city and development of its educational institutions. Not only did it give the city new perspectives for its cultural and social development, but also allowed the College to exercise a greater influence on the cultural life of the whole region. It also offered easier access to higher education for young people from the Podlasie and north-eastern Mazovian area. Moreover, it laid foundations for the development of a scientific centre in the city. 

Over the years Siedlce has experienced good and bad fortune. The most outstanding period of its cultural and intellectual development came during Enlightenment. At the time the magnate residence of Duchess Ogińska of the Czartoryski family was an important centre of the court life in Poland. Duchess Aleksandra became a patron of those who in those days had a great impact on the social and cultural development of the city. Today numerous signs of their activities can be found throughout the city, speaking of a long tradition of cultural life and evoking feelings of reflection over the past of the city and region as well as transmitting a historical message to the academic community of Siedlce. 

Siedlce has been enjoying a long tradition of teacher training. As early as 1820 the first educational institution was established there which trained teachers of primary schools. Then, the teacher training course that lasted for one year was launched in 1916. This was followed by the establishment of the State Training College of Marshal Józef Piłsudzki on the initiative and efforts of the regional organisation of Polska Macierz Szkolna (Polish Educational Institution). After it was closed down, the High School of Teacher Training was established in 1937, offering three-year studies; however, it was closed by the Nazi three years later. During the second world war teacher education was organised in clandestine classes. It was in the spring of 1944 that the High School of Teacher Training was again opened.

There were various types of teacher training courses run alongside the High School of Teacher Training in the period after the war. Additionally, the Correspondence Teacher Training High School was functioning in the period of 1958-1963. The year 1962 marked the establishment of a new teacher training institution, namely the Teacher Training College, operating till 1970. In 1969 when the Higher Teacher Training School (university level) was opened in Siedlce, a new stage in the history of education and teacher training in Siedlce was initiated, laying foundations for the Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities of today.

Initially, the Higher Teacher Training School was divided into two faculties, the Faculty of Pedagogy and the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Students chose between the four study programmes as follows: mathematics and physics, chemistry and physics, primary school teaching with mathematics, and primary school teaching with physical education. In 1970 a new study programme was added, namely biology with chemistry. This was followed by the opening of the Faculty of Humanities with the two programmes: Polish philology with history and Russian philology. The first Rector of the Higher Teacher Training School was Prof. Jozef Kozłowski.

In August 1974 the School was transformed into the Higher School of Pedagogy, obtaining the rights to grant master's degrees in the following programmes: mathematics, chemistry, biology, special pedagogy, school pedagogy, pre-school pedagogy, Polish and Russian philology. Then in 1977 it underwent further reorganisation.

On 1 October 1977 the Higher School of Pedagogy was transformed into the Higher School for Agriculture and Pedagogy, which initiated significant structural changes. The Faculty of Humanities was closed down along with the two programmes, Polish and Russian Philology. The Faculty of Pedagogy was renamed the Faculty of Pedagogy and Rural Culture, while the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences was renamed the Faculty of Chemistry and Mathematics. Additionally, the Faculty of Agriculture was added with the three study programmes of agriculture, animal husbandry, and biology. Only within a few years after its inception in 1986, the Faculty was granted rights to confer Ph.D. degree in agronomy, which improved its standing among other institutions of higher education. 

In June 1991 the Faculty of Humanities was re-opened with the three study programmes, namely pedagogy, history, and Polish philology. In 1996 one more programme was added to its educational offer that of management and marketing, setting a scene for opening the Faculty of Management (in the year 2000). Further changes came in 1993 when the programme in computing was added to the curriculum of the Faculty of Chemistry and Mathematics. This was followed by the opening of the Institute of Philology within the Faculty of Humanities, with the two study programmes of English and Russian. In the year 2002 the University applied to the Polish Ministry of Education for permission to open the two new study programmes, namely administration and study of politics. Prior to these activities integrative studies were introduced for students with disabilities in the 90s. In the meanwhile, the School was authorised to grant Ph.D. degrees in the fields of animal husbandry, biology, and chemistry. It also obtained the rights to grant a D.Sc. degree in agronomy. In 1996 doctoral studies were launched at the Faculty of Agriculture.
  
Having existed for thirty years, the Higher School for Pedagogy and Agriculture was raised to a higher status of academy by a bill of 10 April 1999, passed by the Seym (Parliament) of the Polish Republic, and renamed the University. This date marked a new important stage in its history and the next step in its organisational, scientific, and educational development. A constant development of the research and concern for the quality of education has led to the creation of four faculties within the University with over 8,400 students, including full-time, part-time, post diploma and PhD ones. Vast majority of the faculties are entitled to award MA degree, moreover, the University is also entitled to award PhD degree in agronomy, biology, chemistry, animal husbandry, history and international relations. Siedlce University is authorized to conduct procedures for D.Sc. in agronomy and animal husbandry. 

The University has signed bilateral agreements with 13 institutions of higher education in post-Soviet Union republics (Russia, Byelorussia, Georgia, Lithuania). Moreover, the University has been cooperating with universities in Bulgaria, Germany and the USA. Many scientists have been maintaining contacts with a number of scientific institutions in Holland, Germany, Great Britain, France, and the USA. 

We have been participating within the educational Lifelong Learning Programme/Erasmus since the year 2002. In 2007 , the European Commission awarded the Erasmus Extended University Charter for the years 2007-2013 to the University. This extended Charter allows to take part in the academic mobility of students, teachers and other staff and also to organize foreign placements for students. The University has signed 17 inter-institutional agreements within the framework of the LLP/Erasmus Programme with the universities in Latvia, Slovenia, Slovakia ,Czech Republic, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Germany, Turkey, and Romania.

John Hopkins University 

“What are we aiming at?”

That’s the question our university’s first president, Daniel Coit Gilman, asked at his inauguration in 1876. What is this place all about, exactly? His answer:

“The encouragement of research . . . and the advancement of individual scholars, who by their excellence will advance the sciences they pursue, and the society where they dwell.”

Gilman believed that teaching and research go hand in hand—that success in one depends on success in the other—and that a modern university must do both well. He also believed that sharing our knowledge and discoveries would help make the world a better place.

In 140 years, we haven’t strayed from that vision. This is still a destination for excellent, ambitious scholars and a world leader in teaching and research. Distinguished professors mentor students in the arts and music, humanities, social and natural sciences, engineering, international studies, education, business, and the health professions. Those same faculty members, along with their colleagues at the university’s Applied Physics Laboratory, have made us the nation’s leader in federal research and development funding every year since 1979.

That’s a fitting distinction for America’s first research university, a place that has revolutionized higher education in the U.S. and continues to bring knowledge and discoveries to the world.

The University of Florida

The University of Florida is a partner institution in ELENA and a site for secondments for students. Visiting students work on design and synthesis of new precursorsspecifically tailored for focused electron beam induced deposition. These studies are conducted in the Department of Chemistry under the supervision of Prof. Lisa McElwee-White. 

The University of Florida is among the most academically diverse public universitiesin the United States, with 16 colleges and more than 200 research centers and institutes.  The University has a strong tradition of attracting and providing research opportunities for top graduate and undergraduate students and is consistently ranked among the nation’s top universities. With over 5000 faculty/researchers and more than 50,000 students, UF is a research rich environment.  It is one of only 17 universities in the country to share land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant status.  Faculty members at UF are committed to research and teaching at all levels; duringthe 2016 fiscal year, UF reported a total of $724 million in total sponsored research funding. 

The Department of Chemistry is one of the 21 departments in UF's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. It consists of 40 research active tenure track faculty along with 12 instructors and lecturers. Research is supported by 5 staff scientists who manage the spectroscopic facilities.  Each semester, more than 8000 students are taught in chemistry classes, many of which are service courses. The roughly 300 Ph.D. students in Chemistry are an integral part of the research and teaching missions of the department.

Prof. Lisa McElwee-White is the Colonel Allen R. and Margaret G. Crow Professor of Chemistry at the University of Florida.  She received a B.S. degree from the University of Kansas and completed her Ph.D. at the California Institute of Technology.  After two years of postdoctoral work at Stanford University, she joined the Stanford faculty as an Assistant Professor in 1985.  She moved to the University of Florida as an Associate Professor in 1993 and was promoted to Professor in 1997.  Following a term as Associate Dean for Administrative Affairs in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, she returned to full time research and teaching.  She serves as director of the UF Beckman Scholars Program and recently served as the Director of the NSF-CCI Center for Nanostructured Electronic Materials.  Prof. McElwee-White's research interests center around the applications of organometallic chemistry in materials science and catalysis.  Her work has been funded by a variety of federal agencies, foundations, and companies including NSF, DOE, ARO, ONR, NASA, ACS-PRF, the Beckman Foundation, HHMI and FEI.  She is the author of 137 refereed publications and has presented 182 invited lectures.